Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Journey

Nursing is an amazing profession. You may wish to deepen your impact on patients and on the profession by preparing for a position as a nursing instructor. I took the long way around - from a Baccalaureate degree, to a Masters degree, and now am a PhD nursing student.

Do you have a similar dream?  Are you already on your journey? Or have you successfully made the leap from nurse to nurse scholar?

In 2004, I was a director of nursing in a skilled nursing facility and was interviewing registered nurse candidates at a job fair.  I was pleased to greet a candidate whom I knew well - a person who had worked as a certified nursing assistant at our facility.  She happily shared her future plans - to complete her Baccalaureate degree, obtain her Masters degree and become a teacher of nursing.

That evening, I thought about that meeting and the candidates well-thought-out plans. Her dream was my dream. If she could return to the classroom so fearlessly, then I believed I could do so, as well. This simple interaction provided the impetus I needed to return to university, a place I had last frequented 17 years earlier.

What will it take for you to make the leap?  What or who moved you to take the first step?

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog Cynde. It is full of personality and heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynde,

    Your passion for nursing is contagious.

    Mary S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynde,
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring journey! Your story illustrates how those we encounter in our lives can have a significant impact on the course we follow. It also points to one important requirement for pursuing one's dream, namely, courage - courage to take the first step, then the next, etc. Congratulations that you are in pursuit, and best wishes as you work to achieve your dream.
    Mary U.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynde ---- I'm taking notes of all the great ideas people are suggesting in their Blogs. Examples of well done Blogs ---- it's a great idea! Your passion for what you do comes through so clearly in your Blog ..... I'd say your's is a great example! Heidi

    ReplyDelete